Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Obama Is So Full of Skeet

by  

Obama Strikes the Heismann
During the campaign season, analysts and reporters constantly needled Mitt Romney for being, or at least seeming, “out of touch with working class America.” Presumably this was because he is rich, though they never mentioned just how wealthy Obama is. I suppose that, in contrast, they were touting Obama as a “man of the people.” But honestly, I think this characterization was and is false. Obama is not in touch with what America was or is. He is in touch only with what he is making America to be. This was hammered in again recently when he spoke on guns and other dangerous stuff he was going to protect us from.
“Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time,” Obama said. No, Mr. President. What you’re shooting isn’t skeet. And it isn’t straight, either. Though it does share its initial and terminal letters with both of those words. “We do skeet shooting?” Who talks like that? “Hey, smokers! I’m one of you! I do cigarette smoking all the time.”

He goes on from there, trying desperately to further establish his “I’m just like you” image. He said he had a profound respect for hunting traditions in America. Stop right there. If I hear about how the 2nd Amendment was designed to protect duck-hunting rifles one more time, I’m gonna kill me a revisionist historian… But he doesn’t stop there. He says, “I think those who dismiss [America’s hunting and gun traditions] out of hand make a big mistake.” Wait, Obama. How did you all of the sudden get on the side of gun owners? Usually when you want to play “good cop/bad cop,” you need at least two people…

Then, to indicate how intimately aware he is of America’s gun culture, he talked about a 10-year old boy getting a hunting rifle and shooting with his dad and his uncles. Then he, again, talked as if he were the one whose precious traditions were under attack: “If . . . that [guns, shooting with family, etc.] became part of your family’s traditions, you can see why you’d be pretty protective of that.” You can see? So now he’s explaining the appeal of guns to us? Why not say, “I can see…” since he and his administration are so obviously bent on fundamentally altering gun rights. But no… ever a member of whatever group he’s speaking to, Obama gathers himself into the cause of the crowd like a possessing spirit. What a joke.
But none of this alone indicates, to me at least, his profound “out-of-touchness” with traditional middle America. Obviously carried away in the method acting of his Friend-of-Guns-Obama routine, I guess he thought no one would notice when Europeaness-Envy-Obama poked his face out and talked about how dangerous football is. American football that is. “If I had a son, I’d have to think long and hard before I let him play football.” No, if you had a son, he’d be like Trayvon Martin, remember? And football, I’m pretty sure, would be the least dangerous of his extracurricular activities.

If only we were as enlightened as Europeans, we would have a much more humane version of football. Then Obama’s politically expedient imaginary son would have something to do for fun. But we would have banned guns too, so he wouldn’t be able to give him a hunting rifle when he turns 10. I guess that’s a sacrifice he is hypothetically willing to make. But boxing is okay, right? They have that in Europe too. And bull-fighting. We could start that here too. I’m sure Obama would “do bullfight-watching” all the time…
Do you people believe this skeet?

No comments:

Post a Comment