Speaking at a media briefing Friday, Secretary of Defense James Mattis said a military solution to the North Korean crisis would be “tragic on an unbelievable scale,” according to Reuters.
Mattis, speaking at the Pentagon, addressed questions about the possibility of some kind of solution to the growing threat posed by North Korean leader Kin Jong Un and his continued nuclear and missile tests.
“So our effort is to work with the U.N., work with China, work with Japan, work with South Korea to try to find a way out of this situation,” he said. “We are going to continue to work the issue.”
Reuters reported that South Korea has said the North’s missile program was progressing faster than expected. North Korea has indicated that it had no intention of reining in its nuclear and missile programs.
On Sunday, North Korea tested Sunday a Hwasong-12 medium long-range surface-to-surface missile, which was believed to be somewhat successful.
Asked about the launch, Mattis said, “They (North Korea) clearly aren’t listening but there appears to be some impact by the Chinese working here. It’s not obviously perfect when they launch a missile.”
But their efforts do appear to be improving.
“They went to a very high apogee and when it came down obviously from that altitude they probably learned a lot from it,” Mattis said. “But I’m not willing to characterize it beyond that right now.”
Reuters reported earlier in the week that the success of North Korea’s missile test-launch signaled “major advances” in developing an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Kim is playing a dangerous game, and the warning is clear that should he continue with his efforts, it will not end well for his country — or for him.
H/T The Daily Caller
Share this story on Facebook and Twitter and let us know what you think about James Mattis’ assessment of what war with North Korea would look like.
What do you think the U.S. should do about North Korea? Scroll down to comment below!