Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Harry Reid Says 'I'm Kind of Pulling for' Trump, Quickly Backtracks

Image: Harry Reid Says 'I'm Kind of Pulling for' Trump, Quickly Backtracks
by: Greg Richter   


Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said Wednesday he'd like to see Donald Trump win the Republican presidential nomination.

If that sounds out of character for the Democrat who has taken to the Senate floor to denounce Trump over his proposed ban on Muslim and other issues, it's because Reid quickly added that he was joking, according to The Hill.  

"Look, we've gotten along fine," Reid told reporters of Trump. "With that bunch of people running, I'm kind of pulling for him."

Trump has said he would make the best president because of his ability to get along with Democrats such as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and New York Sen. Chuck Schumer.

"I think I'm going to be able to get along with Pelosi -- I've always had a good relationship with Nancy Pelosi,' Trump said Tuesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "Reid's going to be gone. I've always had a decent relationship with Reid," Trump added. "I always had a great relationship with Harry Reid."

"Oh, I remember the good old days when he did a fundraiser or two for me," Reid said before immediately assuring reporters he was pulling their legs.

Trump, Reid said, is a "hateful demagogue who will do immeasurable damage to our country."

He then apologized.

"There's some things I shouldn't joke about," he said from the Senate floor, according The Hill. "The danger of a Donald Trump candidacy to our country is not a joke.
"Obviously it wasn't very funny, Schumer kicked me in the back [of the] leg," he added. "I'm watching with pleasure the Republicans fumbling around. ... I just think it has made a mockery of our Republican Party."

No comments:

Post a Comment