Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Trump Doesn't Know Why He Has to Repent To God. He Could Start With His 'Experiences' With Married Women.


 
In the latest polls, Donald Trump has been running approximately even with Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) among white evangelical voters. This is no doubt due to Trump’s deep religiosity and conversant knowledge of the Bible, as well as his adherence to New and Old Testament precepts.  
Or not. 
There are plenty of solid indicators that Trump doesn’t take his Bible particularly seriously. Aside from botching references to “two Corinthians,” refusing to answer questions about his favorite Bible verse (“I wouldn’t want to get into it, because to me, that’s very personal”), and then finally citing verses from Proverbs that don’t actually exist (“the chapter ‘never bend to envy’”), Trump’s odd insistence that he never repents before God boggles religious minds. 
 
He recently told CNN’s Anderson Cooper:
I like to do the right thing where I don’t actually have to ask for forgiveness. Does that make sense to you? You know, where you don’t make such bad things that you don’t have to ask for forgiveness. I mean, I’m trying to lead a life where I don’t have to ask God for forgiveness….Why do I have to repent? Why do I have to ask for forgiveness if you’re not making mistakes?
Here are a couple of things for which Trump might want to repent. 

Bragging About His ‘Experiences’ With Married Women. In Trump: The Art Of The Comeback, Trump writes, “If I told the real stories of my experiences with women, often seemingly very happily married and important women, this book would be a guaranteed best-seller (which it will be anyway!). I’d love to tell all, using names and places, but I just don’t think it’s right.” In that same book, he wrote of an experience in which a married woman “started petting me in all different ways. I looked at her and asked, ‘Is everything all right?’ I didn’t want to make a scene in a ballroom full of five hundred VIPs. The amazing part about her was who she was – one of the biggest of the big.
She then asked me to dance, and I accepted. While we were dancing she became very aggressive, and I said, ‘Look, we have a problem. Your husband is sitting at the table, and so is my wife.’ ‘Donald,’ she said, ‘I don’t care. I just don’t care. I have to have you and I have to have you now.’ I told her that I’d call her, but that she had to stop the behavior immediately….This is not infrequent, it happens all the time.” We can only hope this story was not about Hillary Clinton. 

Cheating On His Own Wife. In Trump: Surviving At The Top, Trump writes, “I even thought, briefly, about approaching [first wife] Ivana with the idea of an ‘open marriage.’ But I realized there was something hypocritical and tawdry about such an arrangement that neither of us could live with – especially Ivana. She’s too much of a lady.” His relationship with Ivana ended after Trump apparently put up future second wife Marla Mapes, with whom he was reportedly having an affair, at the same hotel as Ivana, and Ivana found out about it.

Support for Partial-Birth Abortion. Trump supported partial-birth abortion – the murder of the unborn up to the point of birth – until some unspecified point in the recent past, when he decided he was pro-life. At the very least, he ought to repent of this position. Trump continues to maintain that abortion isn’t murder and that there are “caveats” to his pro-life position.

Trump’s evangelical support comes from the same place as his other support: dissatisfied voters who seek an out-of-the-box champion to fight against the establishment. But Trump’s ridiculous pandering to Christians should be seen for just what it is: pandering.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment