Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

They Told This 98 Year Old Woman She Was Too Old To Drive. What She Did Next Will Warm Your Heart



by  

Evelyn, a 98-year-old woman, suffered a blow to her independence when her driver’s licence was revoked. She had not broken any laws, but somebody thought she was too old to drive.
“I was heartbroken at that. I really was,” Evelyn explained. “It made me feel old. It made me feel useless.”
The bus, belonging to the retirement community where Evelyn resides, once took the residents to the grocery store. Yet, the bus was given up without any explanation.
Without any means to travel from place to place, a lot of them were “stuck.” Evelyn’s neighbor, Joyce, was particularly distressed with this loss of freedom. So Evelyn made a promise to her friend.

“I’ll take you to the grocery store every week,” Evelyn said.
Undeterred, the spunky 98-year-old lady went to get her licence back. And she succeeded!
“[When] you make a promise, it’s important for me to keep that promise if it’s possible,” Evelyn said. “…I’m on the earth. I’m here. If I can contribute, I should! Shouldn’t we all? And not just think of ourselves?”
This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Informing And Equipping Americans Who Love Freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment