Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

For Obama, ‘Liberty’ Means Government Compliance

Liberty-bell-220x120
When I went to visit my mother, her TV was stuck on President Obama’s Inaugural Address. It was painful to listen to it. Fortunately my 90-year-old mother is hard of hearing. I came in on this line from the address:
“Being true to our founding documents does not require us to agree on every contour of life; it does not mean we will all define liberty in exactly the same way, or follow the same precise path to happiness.”
You and I might define liberty as being able to keep the money we earn. Obama and friends may define liberty as taking money that you and I earn and giving it to people who have decided to live in terms of government generosity. He said as much. “For we, the people, understand that our country cannot succeed when a shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it.”
Why aren’t people doing well? Because Obama defines liberty in a way that was different from the founders he referenced in his address.

No comments:

Post a Comment