Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Oliver North: Un-Believable

Oliver North Oliver North
GEORGETOWN, S.C. -- Here in the Carolina Lowcountry, there are few things lower in the esteem of American citizens than the United Nations. While filling the tank of my SUV this morning, I noted the following about the pickup truck at the pump ahead of me: a South Carolina license plate, a U.S. Marine Corps decal, a National Rifle Association decal, a gun rack in the rear window, a sticker reading "Armed Infidel" and another that said "Get US Out of the UN" on it. The owner, it turned out, was a medical doctor on his way to visit a patient. Apparently, down here, doctors still make house calls. Our brief conversation went something like this:

Doctor: "You're Col. North, aren't you?
Me: "I'd better be. I'm using his credit card."
Doctor: "That's a pretty Boykin spaniel you have there. Do you hunt her?"
Me: "Every chance I get."
Doctor: "You're on the NRA board, aren't you?"
Me: "Yes. I see you're a member. Were you in the Marines?"
Doctor: "No, my son is. He just got back from Afghanistan. I'm really proud of him, but I want him to get out and finish college before Obama sells us out to the U.N. They're out to take away our Second Amendment rights. This isn't about 'gun rights.'
Guns don't have rights. We do. 'We the People' have rights -- and one of 'em is the right to keep and bear arms. That's why I belong to the NRA and why we ought to get out of the U.N."

We parted so he could get to his patient. In the car, I turned on the radio to hear the mellifluous voice of former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan -- now the U.N.'s "special emissary" -- announcing in Geneva yet another "peace plan" for Syria. He claims to have had "productive discussions" in Damascus with Syrian dictator Bashar Assad on a "transition plan" and says that the U.N. Security Council must now "send a message to all that there will be consequences for noncompliance."
Annan's announcement prompted a scurry of diplomats and "experts" rushing to microphones in New York, Washington, London, Paris and Moscow -- all expounding on this "new initiative." Meanwhile, the killing in Syria continues. Opposition groups and human rights organizations now estimate that more than 17,000 have been killed in the 15-month uprising against the Assad regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment