Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

545 In Washington Vs. 300 Million In The Country…Time for Some Accountability


Syndicated columnist Charley Reese is a conservative who was associated with the Orlando Sentinel from 1971-2001. He first published an editorial about 545 people being “responsible for the domestic problems that plague” the U.S in 1985. He updated it in 1995 and again in 2008 it was updated with political references to people of the day in public office. His editorial was titled “545 people are responsible for the mess, but they unite in a common con.”
I contacted the Orlando Sentinel to see if I might be able to post the entire content of the editorial here. They wanted $150 for that, which is fine, but I’m not going to pay that when I can simply link to the complete article here. However, they did allow me to post a few lines to wet your appetite about this article by Reese.
What I find interesting is the common sense approach to government and how we the people are at the mercy of just a few men and women in Washington.
Reese writes,
You and I don’t propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don’t have the constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don’t write the tax code. The Congress does. You and I don’t set fiscal policy. the Congress does. You and I don’t control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.
One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices – 545 human beings out of 238 million- are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Bank because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.
Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment