Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

U.N. Says Word “Illegal Immigrants” Should Not Be Used, Prefers Use Of “Irregular Migrants”

oped: I say we kick the UN out of NY..stop funding and get on with our lives...the UN has become a drain on our Treasury and is irrelevant..let them talk smack in Saudi Arabia in a tent way out in the desert..camels as their audience and dates as their pay! Let's call the UN ...'Undesirable Nationalities '

U.N.-UN-500x334
I was in Malta last week, reporting on the problems the country is facing with illegal immigration. Large numbers of Africans are claiming asylum there after arriving on people trafficking boats from Libya, and the Maltese are up in arms about it. Actually, sorry, I got that wrong. Let me start again. I was reporting on the problems the country is facing withirregular immigration from Africa. Not illegal. There’s a difference, it seems. Let me explain.

“Illegal immigration” apparently carries connotations of criminality, of someone doing something wrong. Like, for example, paying a people smuggler €700 to transport them a rickety boat that might sink with the loss of all on board. Whereas “irregular” is a more “neutral” term. Probably all the same to you and me.

Continue Reading on weaselzippers.us

No comments:

Post a Comment