Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

God (Not SCOTUS) Will Be The Final Judge On Gay “Marriage”


By  

There seems to have been a shift in the Republican party away from opposing so-called gay marriage and towards an acceptance of homosexuals being able to be married with the state’s imprimatur.
I can understand Senator Rob Portman’s position.  His son is gay, and he is still his son, and he loves him. 

I saw Nicole Wallace on Fox News Sunday taking a similar position.  She worked in the Bush 43 White House.  I certainly understand Vice President Dick Cheney’s position because his situation is similar to Portman’s.
Here is my problem with all of that.
The state’s imprimatur.
As I have said many times in this space, what you do on your own time and who you do it with is your own business, and I don’t really care.
But.  Please include me out. 

I don’t care if you covet Paris Hilton or Perez Hilton; but why do I need to know about it, much less be forced to approve of it?
If two people of the same sex want to set up housekeeping, they can enter into a civil union, which should give them every right that a married couple has.  And, for the record, I think the federal government should only involve itself in marriage where it is forced to (and, thus, parts of the Defense of Marriage Act probably ARE unconstitutional.)
Why is it so important for me to do anything but wish a gay couple well?
And by me, I mean all of us.
Truth be told, I don’t really know whether or not God believes that homosexuality is fundamentally wrong or that marriage is between a man and a woman.  However, he certainly arranged our plumbing to accommodate that theory.
I suspect that people on my side of the argument may eventually lose to a pop culture that places a heavy value on doing whatever feels good at the moment; and there will be, on the surface, acceptance of gay marriage.
If that’s the case, I’m glad I won’t be around to see the long-term effects.  Ultimately, it won’t be Antonin Scalia or Ruth Bader Ginsburg making the judgments. It will be a much higher authority, and I suspect that it will be loud and clear. 

How do I know?
I don’t.  But, being willing to make a wager, I can calculate odds.  Let me quote William Shatner’s “Boston Legal” character, Denny Crane, when asked if he believed in God and why:
“If you believe in God and it turns out there is no God, there’s no harm no foul. . .but if you don’t believe in God and there is a God, you’re screwed.”
So, you need to ask yourself a question.  And, as the number of your tomorrows becomes significantly fewer than your yesterdays, the question may be more pressing.
The question is: do you want to bet against God?  For all eternity? Those seem like pretty big odds, even for a value player.
I cannot tell you whether there is life after the body gives out or whether we just blink off like a burned out light bulb.  But I’m pretty sure that I don’t want to take a chance that there is no master plan to the universe and we just become used up dustballs after we die.  I’m pretty sure that the odds favor the theory of a master plan implemented by a master planner.  Maybe God doesn’t take the form we think.  Maybe there are not any pearly gates.  But there’s a lot more empirical evidence that there is a God than man-made global warming. If that were a proposition bet in a Las Vegas sports book, I’d be hard-pressed to bet money against God.  As far as betting my life for eternity, well, I’d be real nervous about that. 

And, I think that Richard Nixon had it right when he told us that there’s a great silent majority out there that is more conservative socially than liberal, believes in God, and wants to do the right thing.
That explains why 30 states have laws on the books making marriage between a man and a woman that were passed in the privacy of the polling booth by that very silent majority.
Giving gay marriage the imprimatur of the state isn’t going to screw up my life.
But, if I were 20 right now, I wouldn’t want to bet on what the world might look like 50 years from now under those circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment