Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Soldiers' portraits before, during and after war

Photographer Lalage Snow's powerful series of triptychs titled We Are The Not Dead depict the faces of British servicemen before, during and after (left to right) their deployment to Afghanistan, spanning a period of seven months. The images are as striking as they are revealing, highlighting not only the physical transformations but the emotional ones, as well.

Lalage Snow is a photographer, journalist and filmmaker currently based in Kabul, Afghanistan. 

Private Chris MacGregor, 24: "My legs just gave up. I think it was the weight – 135 pounds or something. I just had to accept, my body was telling me to give up as I had pushed it. I was telling it to go, it was telling me to stop. When squaddies come back they still have a lot of adrenaline and anger in them. I had to have anger management after Iraq...The first thing I did when I came back, apart from kissing and cuddling the misses and my bairn, was go for a massive walk with the dogs. I walked for miles and miles not caring where I stepped." 

Go to for complete slideshow: http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/soldiers-portraits-before-and-after-war-slideshow/

No comments:

Post a Comment